Promoting British Values
We aim to ensure that all of our children develop into Safe, Kind and Responsible members of our School family. So that they can grow into caring, democratic, responsible and tolerant adults who make a positive contribution to British Society and to the World.
We aim to develop an understanding of the importance of democracy through:
- Involving children in democratic processes such as the school council/Eco Council whose members are voted for by the children.
- Ensuring that children have a voice within school e.g. pupil questionnaires, taking part in interviewing prospective members of staff, contributing to theme weeks.
- Ensuring that children are listened to in school e.g. open door policy of the Head Teacher.
- Holding debates linked to developing a sense of balanced arguments, listening to both sides of the argument.
We aim to encourage our children to show mutual respect through:
- Prioritising the development of our children’s social and emotional awareness at the heart of our curriculum (Our Ethos and Values).
- Placing a high emphasis upon instilling good manners within our children.
- Holding assemblies which promote the importance of self-respect, honest and open communication with others and fair play.
- Our positive behaviour policy, which promotes the importance of showing respect towards others.
- Teaching children to work collaboratively and values each other’s opinions.
Responsibility & Liberty
We aim to encourage all of our children to be Safe, Kind and Responsible through:
- Actively encouraging our children to make positive choices knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment.
- Empowering children with key roles and responsibilities within school e.g. Sports Captains, Meal Time Helpers, Mental Health Ambassadors, children leading their own lunchtime clubs for others.
- Teaching our children how they can contribute to the well-being of those in the locality and beyond, through many events such as supporting charities e.g. Macmillan Cancer Support, Devon Air Ambulance, WWF.
- Encouraging all of our children to take responsibility for their behaviour, as well as knowing their rights. We work hard to ensure that all of our children know and feel that they are dealt with fairly and equitably.
Rule of Law
We aim to promote an understanding of the rule of law through:
- Ensuring our school rules are clear and are understood by the children. They are discussed regularly during assemblies and they are consistently used by all staff.
- Delivering a clear a structured and Positive Behaviour Policy.
- Helping our children to distinguish from right and wrong.
- Teaching our children the value and reason behind rules and laws and the consequences if they are broken which is reinforced during assemblies.
- Organising visits to the school from authorities such as the Lifeguards, Fire Service, Air Ambulance and Police help reinforce these key messages.
Tolerance of different Faiths & Beliefs
We aim to develop tolerance in our children through:
- Reminding children of their place in a culturally diverse society and this is reinforced through our R.E. curriculum, which explores different faiths.
- R.E lessons teach the children about other faiths as well as their own.
- Providing a rich curriculum, which enables our children to learn about other cultures e.g. Chinese New Year.
- Planned assemblies and class based learning which promotes the diversity of society and the right for each person to be respected and valued equally.
- Where possible inviting members of different faith groups into school to share their knowledge and to enhance our children’s learning and understanding of the beliefs of others.